#093-Route 66 Rail Haven Motel
listed on the National Register of Historic Places was built in 1938, the heyday of The Mother Road, when brothers Elwyn and Lawrence Lippman built eight sandstone cottages on their grandfather’s apple orchard along Route 66 in Springfield, Missouri, and accented the property with a rail fence. By 1946 the motel had grown to 28 rooms. In the early 1950s, it became part of the newly formed Best Western chain of motels. The property went through many upgrades from the mid-1950s to the early 1970s, including changing from cottages to a strip motel. Elvis Presley crashed in room 409 at the Rail Haven. A full-service gas station with a two-tabled diner was on the current site of the motel office. Today, the Rail Haven celebrates that heritage with ornamental gas pumps that sit in front of the retro sandstone-colored rock facade of the office and dinner. The Rail Haven office still has its original working phone booth with a rotary dial.
#095 - Hayfield
Just east of Springfield Missouri I came across this hayfield. Taking a moment to capture this with the beautiful sunset and geese flying south for the winter. It was a quiet field although left abandoned it has its own unique beauty. Get out and enjoy all the beauty the Ozarks have to offer.
The Woodruff Building opened in 1911, Developed by John T. Woodruff and designed by Frank W. Hunt, the ten-story structure was christened ‘Springfield’s first Skyscraper’. It became a Springfield landmark of both downtown and of the skyline. An ornate brick exterior and an interior of Italian marble and intricate tile detailing. The post-WW II boom and expansion helped launch the concept of ‘modernization’ in all things. The Woodruff Building saw its first substantial ‘makeover’ during this time. Embracing modernism, the top parapet cap was removed and the entire exterior clad in sleek, blue porcelain panels. In 2014, the Vecino Group—with a goal of again creating a meaningful corner of downtown, acquired the Woodruff Building. As ‘Sky Eleven’ (an homage to its original nickname and birth year) it is a key part of the Park East neighborhood—and once again a vibrant part of Springfield.
#047 - Sequiota Park
Sequiota is an Indian name, Se-qui-o-ta meaning many springs. The park was used once as the Kickapoo Prairie Indian gathering grounds.
Sequiota Park is part of the Galloway Station area in Springfield, Missouri. The area is named Galloway Station after Civil War Veteran Major Galloway. When Galloway was a merchant he stored goods in the cave. In the 1920's and 30's Sequiota Cave was used to raise mushrooms and later became a show cave with guided boat tours. The park was made into a State Park in 1929. Until 1959 it was used as a fish hatchery. After that, the city of Springfield bought the park and made it a city park. Please share and comment.
The view off of the old iron bridge on Galloway Creekgreenway trail. Nearly six miles of Galloway Creek Greenway wind north-south through the east side of Springfield, Missouri. The first urban trail to be designated a National Recreation Trail, this greenway has become a backbone for recreation and bicycle transportation in the community. Connecting two schools, a historic park and cave, an award-winning nature center, many neighborhoods, several churches and some great restaurants including the popular local favorite, Galloway Station Bar & Grill.
#052-Nature Center Trail
Springfield Conservation Nature Center an 80-acre slice of the Ozarks outdoors, within the city limits of Springfield, is a place to connect with nature and learn the importance of conservation.
This is a beautiful, well-marked trail system teeming with flora and fauna. A number of very nice bridges take you across the James River, and numerous creeks and streams. Below is one of the boardwalks along the three miles of walking trails.
#108 - Nathanael Green
This is the fall at Lake Drummond at Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park, Located along the South Creek Greenway trail, just across the road from Horton Smith Public Golf Course.
The lake was named for Anne Case Drummond, a civic force who inspired and mentored generations of Ozarks women. Her likeness is memorialized in bronze sitting on a park bench lakeside near the garden’s southern entrance. In 2014, the City’s Public Works Department completed a major stabilization and beautification project at Lake Drummond. It looks better than ever now, with the path around it passing through drifts of spring bulbs, the Woodland Garden, the English Garden and access to the South Creek Greenway.
A 28-acre plot purchased by the Springfield Park Board in 1924. The Springfield Park Board concluded a deal for 28 acres of the Fassnight farm south of Springfield, paying $12,000. One of the stipulations of the purchase was that the name Fassnight be used for the park. Fassnight was added to and made more attractive during the Great Depression by the WPA program. The pool building, walls, walkways, retaining walls, bridges, barbecue pits and even a creek bed line for Fassnight Creek, featuring Ozark Limestone were all added at this time. Fassnight Creek winds through the wooded park and hosts a variety of wildlife and native plantings. Please take the time and visit this park if you are in the area. You will not be disappointed.